Monday, May 02, 2016
Mason County football coach Jonathan Thomas was my guest on SportsTalk Friday. Here is a link to the podcast.
Sunday, May 01, 2016
Chris Lofton was named the Most Valuable Player after Le Mans won the French Cup with an 88-75 victory over Lyon-Villeurbanne today.
Lofton came off the bench and hit five three-pointers and scored 21 points.
It's the first time Le Mans has won the French Cup since 2009. This is Lofton's first season with Le Mans.
Saturday, April 30, 2016
Mason Co girls 3rd, boys 4th, Stanley receives Outstanding Performance Award at Ernie Chattin Memorial Track and Field Invitational
The Mason County girls took third place and the Mason County boys finished in fourth place in the Ernie Chattin Memorial Track and Field Meet today at Ashland Blazer.
Mason County senior Jay Stanley received the Outstanding Performance Award for his discus throw of 158-00.50. That's the longest throw in Class AA this year. Stanley also won the shot put
Other first place finishes by Mason County athletes include:
- Jordan Frodge in the girls high jump (4-08.00)
- Abigail Dawson in the girls pole vault (7-06.00)
- Brendan Garrison in the boys 300 meter hurdles (43.21) and the boys high jump (38-06.25)
- The girls 4x100 meter relay team of Leeanna Holler, Tea King, J' Iona Smith and Marissa Scilley ((54.42)
1. Ashland Blazer 171.50
2. Bishop Brossart 123
3. Mason County 104
4. George Rogers Clark 78
5. Raceland 54.50
6. Rowan County 51
7. Boyd County 34
8. West Carter 28
9. Paintsville 23
10. Lewis County 14
11. Bishop Brossart (Team 2) 12
1. Raceland 132
2. Rowan County 130
3. West Carter 102
4. Mason County 80
5. Boyd County 76
6. Ashland Blazer 66
7. George Rogers Clark 41
8. Paintsville 29
9. Rose Hill Christian 10
10. Lewis County 3
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
The Royals' Spring Game is scheduled on May 5 at 4 p.m. Coach Thomas will be my guest on SportsTalk Friday at 8:05 a.m. on Soft 96 WFTM-FM.
Sunday, April 24, 2016
A shorthanded Mason County girls track and field team took second place in the Harrison County Invitational Saturday.
"Lots of people doing new things and getting out of their comfort zone," Mason County coach Mark Kachler wrote in an email message.
Bishop Brossart won the girls meet. Bracken County finished in seventh place.
Owen County won the boys meet. Bracken County took third place, Mason County tied for fourth place and Augusta was seventh.
First place finishes by area athletes include:
- Mason County junior Jordan Frodge in the girls 300 meter hurdles (51.48) and the girls high jump (4-10.00)
- Mason County's girls 4x100 meter relay team of Leah Greene, Iyanna Johns, Tea King and J'Iona (53.78)
- Mason County's girls 4x200 meter relay team of Tea King, Jordan Frodge, Hadley Faris and Marissa Scilley (1:56.12)
- Mason County Jay Stanley in the boys shot put (47-02.50) and the boys discus (138-07)
- Bracken County junior Nick Parker in the boys 400 meter dash (54.77)
- Bracken County senior John Bravard in the boys 800 meter run (2:17.30)
- Bracken County junior Jacob Hamilton in the 1600 meter run (4:47.80)
- Bracken County freshman Jared Jefferson in the boys 3200 meter run (10:42.80)
- Bracken County's boys 4x400 meter relay team of John Bravard, Nick Parker, Jacob Hamilton and Austin Clos (3:44.41)
- Bracken County's boys 4x800 meter relay team of Cameron Botkins, John Bravard, Brandon Cox and Jared Jefferson (9:35.52)
1. Bishop Brossart 156
2. Mason County 136
3. Harrison County 99
4. Nicholas County 87
5. Owen County 70
6. Paris 46
7. Bracken County 34
8. Pendleton County 27
9. Bourbon County 7
1. Owen County 144
2. Harrison County 137
3. Bracken County 107
4. Mason County 72
4. Nicholas County 72
6. Paris 28
7. Augusta 22
8. Pendleton County 21
9. Harrison County (B) 3
Friday, April 22, 2016
Annissa Grooms of Manchester, Ohio was my guest on SportsTalk this morning. She competed in the United States Bowling Congress Women's Championships in Las Vegas after winning the Bowl for the Cure® Fabulous Four essay contest. Here is a link to the podcast.
Wednesday, April 20, 2016
5:30 p.m. Ludlow vs. Nicholas County
8:00 p.m. Green County vs. Mason County
9:30 a.m. Nicholas County vs. Mason County
12:00 p.m. Green County vs. Nicholas County
2:30 p.m. Ludlow vs. Green County
5:00 p.m. Ludlow vs. Mason County