Thursday, April 14, 2016

Jay Stanley signs with Western Carolina University

Mason County senior shot put and discus thrower Jay Stanley signed today with Western Carolina University, a Division I school in Cullowee, North Carolina.

"I loved the campus when I first went on it the very first time, it just seemed really amazing," Stanley said. "I loved the atmosphere, just surrounding the Appalachian Mountains; the people around the campus that are so nice. And when I went on my visit and was with the track team, just staying with some of the athletes, talking and hanging out with them as well as other athletes on other teams, it was such a nice campus and everybody worked together. And the coaches on the track team just reminded me so much of my coaches here- that they want you to do good athletically and their going to push you too, but their main focus is to get your academics up."

Stanley said he plans to throw the shot put, discus and hammer at West Carolina while majoring in electrical engineering.

In 2015, Stanley was the outdoor shot put state champion, the outdoor discus state runner-up and the indoor shot put state runner-up. 

He won the indoor shot put state championship this year. The outdoor meet is next month. 

Mason County coach Mark Kachler says Stanley "has been exceptionally successful and this is just payday from that."

No comments:

Post a Comment