Thursday, July 13, 2017

Matt Jolley named tennis coach at Mason County

Matt Jolley is the new girls and boys tennis coach at Mason County. Here is the press release:


Maysville--- The Mason County Athletic Department is proud to announce the hiring of Matt Jolley as the new boys and girls tennis coach.  Coach Jolley will meet with his players in the upcoming weeks.

Jolley has recently assisted coaching outdoor track and was also involved in helping the tennis team last season at Mason County.

Prior to this time at Mason County, Jolley was a part time tennis coach for Edge Tennis Academy in Hoover, Alabama.  Jolley also played college tennis at Gadsden State Community College in Gadsden, Alabama where he served as a co-captain.

In making the transition, Assistant Athletic Director Chris Ullery said Jolley was exactly the type of coach they were looking to hire.

“As an athletic department, we are always searching for a candidate that will represent our school the correct way and work well with our student athletes. Coach Jolley has a passion for the sport and is very experienced in both playing and teaching tennis.  It was very difficult to see Coach Clay Boone resign.  Coach Boone did a phenomenal job with our tennis program.  Matt has the same passion and energy about the game.  We are very happy that our tennis staff will stay in place and Coach Boone and Coach Conrad will continue to work with our youth, and continue to build the program. Coach Gray will also continue to help with program.  This switch worked out as well as it could for both boys and girls tennis, which is coming off an outstanding year on the courts. Our tennis program has shown immense improvement under the leadership of Coach Boone.”

Jolley is very excited to lead the Royals tennis program.

“My number one goal for these kids is to have fun, but develop a strong work ethic. With that combination, the winning will take care of itself. I know we have a young boys team where there is a lot of potential, we just need all the kids to buy in to the goal of getting better every day and continue to build off last years’ season.  I would like the girls to repeat what they did last year. We didn’t lose any girls to graduation, so I really feel like it is possible.  We just have to work extra hard because being number one means everyone is trying to knock you off the top.”

Jolley on why he wanted to take the job.

“I love tennis and I believe in the Mason County School System. I want to continue to build on what Coach Boone has started.  I’d like to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Without him, none of this is possible.  I would like to thank my wife, Amanda, for allowing me to take the time to work with these kids doing what I love.  I’d like to thank the administration for having the confidence in me to take over where Coach Boone left off.  I’d like to thank my friends and family for their support over the years.”

For further questions, please contact Ullery at 606-301-3708 or Chris.Ullery@mason.kyschools.us or Assistant Athletic Director Jeremy Hawkins at 606-748-4208 or Jeremy.Hawkins@mason.kyschools.us

No comments:

Post a Comment